Re a go amogela!
Welcome to an extraordinary school – one of Africa’s best.
There is an unmistakable charge in the air at Maru-a-Pula (MaP). Why? Because at MaP we share a sense of purpose and possibility. Read more about the history of the school here.
Students at MaP are ambitious, creative and talented. They are eager to engage. Our teachers are passionate and generous with their time. Both MaP students and teachers are delighted to be here. Read my 2016 end-of-year report here.
At MaP it is never enough to ask “Why?”
In a world where innovative thinking is critical, MaP students are challenged to ask “Why not?”
• World-Class Academic Results: Our students’ performance on the Cambridge IGCSE and A-Level examinations positions Maru-a-Pula as one of Africa’s top schools. In 2016, 58.5% of MaP students earned either an A* or an A at A-Level. You can download the IGCSE results poster here and A-Level results poster here, and download a breakdown of MaP’s results over a ten-year period here.
• World-Class Service Programme : Our 44-year tradition of community service is unparalleled for a secondary school. Students choose from over 35 different weekly opportunities to make a hands-on difference.
Click here for details about our Service activities
• Global Community With Global Reach : In 2017, two thirds of our 767 students are Batswana and roughly 270 are expatriate, representing 35 different nationalities. Our students enjoy exchanges with more than 20 schools in the USA, UK, China, Japan, Switzerland, France and Australia.
• Student Exchanges : An opportunity for exemplary Form 5 students to gain fully-funded, year-long scholarships at prestigious independent schools : Taft (CT), Deerfield (MA), Catlin Gabel (OR), Menlo (CA), and Keystone Academy in Beijing; short-term exchanges with the Brooks School (MA) and Horace Mann (NY) in the USA, Ecole Alsacienne in France, Tamagawa Academy in Japan and Chinese International School in Hong Kong.
• Outstanding Co-Curricular Programme : From basketball & karate to chess & debating, MaP students excel in local, regional and global competitions.
• Amazing Marimbas & Creative Arts : Marimbas are important at MaP, but they are just the most visible and audible of the many creative arts which are nurtured and celebrated here at our nationally famous Maitisong theatre.
Click here to visit the Maitisong website
• Unparalleled Opportunities : MaP offers generous financial aid to selected, academically capable citizens. In a critically-needed initiative, MaP hosts 20 orphans and vulnerable children on full scholarships in 2016.
• Pace-Setting Partnerships : Every year, six exceptional Harvard University undergraduates mentor MaP students for eight weeks in June and July. Four Princeton in Africa Teaching Fellows work with our students for a full year.
Click here for more information about Harvard students at MaP
• Top-Tier University Placements : Five MaP graduates currently attend the USA’s top-ranked Stanford University; two are at the UK’s top-ranked University of Cambridge, seven are at the London School of Economics and more than a dozen are at the University of Cape Town.
• From basketball and karate to chess and debating, MaP students excel in local, regional and global competitions. In recent years, MaP has fielded national champion teams in netball, basketball and rugby. Our top athletes have represented Botswana in African and Olympic games.
Please visit us here in Gaborone and talk with MaP students, teachers and parents. We would be happy to tell you more about this exceptional school and show you around the beautiful, well-shaded MaP campus.
~ Andy Taylor
Principal, Maru-a-Pula School