MARU-A-PULA’S ORPHAN & VULNERABLE CHILDREN (OVC) SCHOLARSHIPS
THE CHALLENGE :
• In sub-Saharan Africa, one in every six children is an orphan.
• In Botswana, one in every five children is an orphan.
Africa’s orphans – typically lacking good secondary schooling – only rarely gain places at universities, let alone the world’s best universities.
• Botswana’s greatness as a nation – indeed Maru-a-Pula’s greatness as a school – will be measured by the opportunities it provides to the most vulnerable.
• Africa needs leaders whose voices are informed by both a rigorous education and tempered by personal experience.
We believe that students who have endured the most profound hardships will emerge as the most passionate advocates of change.
OUR RESPONSE :
• To provide Maru-a-Pula (MaP) orphan scholars with full tuition, boarding facilities, books, stationery, pocket money, travel documents, all necessary medical and dental care, all clothing needs including sportswear, and most importantly, committed pastoral care.
• Botswana’s Vision 2016 plan calls for a nation that is educated and informed, and compassionate, just and caring. To help meet this goal – and to honour the school’s 40th anniversary – Maru-a-Pula supports 20 OVC Scholars in 2016.
OUR RESULTS :
• We have 20 Orphan scholars currently enrolled at MaP.
Donations for OVC scholars come from the American Friends of Maru-a-Pula and the UK MaP Trust. We also receive support from MaP alumni and local businesses.
• MaP’s initiative began in 2005 with two OVC scholarships; this grew to 11 in 2006, then 20 in 2007 and reached 27 in 2008. The global financial crisis makes it difficult to raise funds beyond those needed to support our current OVCs.
• MaP’s OVCs currently attend prestigious American universities such as Columbia, Princeton, and Williams, to name just a few. Two of our scholars just graduated from MIT and Stanford University. This is an extraordinary achievement.
• MaP’s OVC programme is featured in Alexander McCall Smith’s latest novel in the No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, “The Handsome Man’s Deluxe Cafe”. Click here to read the extract.
OUR COSTS :
• Maru-a-Pula’s 2015 annual fees are P69,090 ($7,130) for tuition and P51,300 ($5294) for boarding. This is well below the cost of similar quality schools in the southern Africa region.
• Each gift made to the Orphan and Vulnerable Children’s Scholarship Fund supports the needs of Maru-a-Pula’s orphan scholars.
• P200 ($23) provides an orphan with a thesaurus and a dictionary
• P250 ($28) covers the cost of an orphan’s visit to a doctor or dentist
• P500 ($56) provides an orphan with a term’s pocket money
• P1,350 ($152) provides an orphan with room and board for a week
• P5,500 ($617) provides an orphan with a month’s tuition
• P21,800 ($2444) provides an orphan’s tuition fees for a full term
We need your help to give these children – children who have lost so much – an education and a chance at a future. Click here to learn more about how to support us.