To be one of Africa’s leading institutions, where students are educated to excel and to be passionate and creative leaders who serve their communities.
Maru-a-Pula is a dynamic world-class school rooted in Botswana. We offer a rigorous curriculum that prepares students for entry to highly selective universities, to pursue challenging careers and self-fulfilment. Through programmes emphasizing self-discipline and community service, each student learns personal and social responsibility. We encourage our students to exercise leadership that is compassionate, democratic and tolerant.
Maru-a-Pula’s education is based on:
• academic excellence that promotes ethical inquiry and informed choices;
• student-centred approaches to learning, which nurture creativity
• developing confidence, self-reliance and self-esteem;
• valuing all members in a sensitive, multicultural, international community;
• promoting democracy and a sense of responsibility to our community
• promoting a respect for the environment;
• the inclusion of students from diverse backgrounds through our bursary, scholarship and orphan programmes.
Click here to download the book ‘Maru-a-Pula : Celebrating 40 Years’
Maru-a-Pula is still a young school. In 1972, the President of Botswana, Sir Seretse Khama, actively encouraged the creation of a nonracial school. Deane Yates, previously Headmaster of St. John’s College in Johannesburg, R.S.A., was the founding Headmaster, and worked with the gracious gift of 20 hectares from the government of Botswana to establish Maru-a-Pula, then in the bush on the outskirts of town. One of the first members of Yates’s staff was David Matthews, who succeeded him in 1981. The third Principal, Malcolm McKenzie, who took over in 1991, was a Rhodes Scholar from Cape Town, R.S.A.
Unlike many international schools, MaP deliberately enrols a high percentage of local citizens: currently, 68% are Batswana. Maru-a-Pula has a School Council, which is ultimately responsible for the general policy and financial management of the School. The Principal, who is a member of the Council, directs the School on a day-to-day basis.
Past and Present Principals of MaP
• Deane Yates (Founding – 1980)
• David Matthews (1981 – 1990)
• Malcolm McKenzie (1990 – 1999)
• Neil Smooker (1999 – 2000)
• Garth Grierson (2001 – 2003)
• Alan Wilson (Acting, 2003 – 2004)
• Andrew Taylor (2004 – Present)