Rain is a great blessing in Botswana and you wish a person well by saying to them, in Setswana, ‘Pula’. So, Maru-a-Pula – ‘rainclouds’ – comes to have a wider a meaning: the promise of blessing. Rarely are schools so aptly named.
Launching Africa’s Leaders
Maru-a-Pula (MaP) is a world-class school rooted in Botswana. Our purpose is to nurture leaders who are deeply committed to helping their communities. Founded in 1972, MaP is a co-educational, independent day & boarding secondary school with a reputation as one of Africa’s premier academic institutions.
Located on a beautiful campus in the capital city of Gaborone, MaP offers rigorous preparation for the Cambridge IGCSE, AS and A-Level examinations, preparing students for entry to highly selective universities worldwide.
World Class Academic Achievements
Our outstanding Cambridge IGCSE, & A-Level examination results position MaP as one of Africa’s top schools. In 2018, 57.6% of MaP students earned either an A* or an A at A-Level. You can download the IGCSE results poster here, A-Level results poster here and the AS-Level results poster here. Take a look at the Top 100 Ranked Universities MaP students are currently attending here.
MaP’s 2018 Academic Highlights :
- 61 students earned at least 5 As or A*s at IGCSE
- More than 40% (32) of the students who sat their A-Levels earned at least 3 As and 8 students earned at least 3 A*s
- Over half of the students entered (54) earned at least 3 As at AS-Level (at AS-Level, A is the highest grade than can be earned)
- MaP has 94 students currently attending the World’s Top 100 Universities
- MaP has a global reach with students studying in Europe, North America, Asia and Australasia – with the UK and US being the major destinations
- MaP offers generous financial aid to academically capable, citizens. Additionally, MaP awards full scholarships to orphans and vulnerable children annually. In recent years, this has been extended to include refugee children.
- Each year, outstanding Form 5 students are selected to attend top American private schools on full scholarships.
- In partnership with the Ministry of Education, many of the nation’s Top Achievers attend and are fully supported in their A-Level studies at MaP.
A Global Community With Global Reach
MaP students are ambitious and eager to make a difference in the world. Our 2019 enrollment is 803 students :
- 68% (547) are Batswana
- More than 32% (256) are expatriates from 36 different nationalities
- Our students enjoy exchanges with more than 20 schools in the USA, UK, China, Japan, France and Australia
A Tradition of Service
Our 47-year tradition of community service is unparalleled for a secondary school. With more than 40 different projects from which to choose, MaP students partner with schools, hospitals and struggling communities, through weekly visits each term. Through these acts of service, MaP students learn more powerful lessons than those taught in the classroom.
MaP enjoys pace-setting partnerships: Harvard University sends four undergraduates to work with our students for eight weeks; actors and dancers from the Juilliard School for Performing Arts in New York City join us for three weeks and Princeton-in-Africa Teaching Fellows work at MaP for a full year.
Top-Tier University Placements
We are proud to be one of Africa’s leading schools with 94 students currently studying at the world’s top 100 ranked universities.
Magnificent Marimbas & Creative Arts
Marimbas are the most visible and audible of the many creative arts which are nurtured and celebrated here at our nationally famous Maitisong theatre.
- MaP is the home of Maitisong, the premier centre for the performing arts in Botswana, attracting thousands to our campus every year.
- Each year we host the acclaimed Maitisong Festival, the nation’s largest arts festival.
- We offer world-class programmes in the visual and performing arts – drama, music and fine art
- Our world famous marimba band has toured the USA, Canada, Portugal and Brazil
Outstanding Sports and Enrichment Activities
From basketball and karate to chess and debating, MaP students excel in local, regional and global competitions. In recent years, MaP has fielded national champion teams in netball, basketball and rugby. Our top athletes have represented Botswana in African and Olympic games.