The Lower School Programme at Maru-a-Pula School aims to build on and extend the knowledge and skills developed in Primary School and to develop knowledge and skill in a wide range of subjects, so that students have a broad and balanced foundation, have explored their abilities and interests, are well placed to make their subject selections for the IGCSE programme and are equipped to tackle their studies with confidence. A specific aim of the programme is to develop strong reading, writing and numeracy skills whilst teaching the content of the core and the enrichment subjects. ICT, research and presentation skills are also developed across the curriculum.
Subjects included in the Lower School curriculum include both core and enrichment subjects.
• English, Mathematics, Science, Geography, History, ICT and Physical Education are taken by all students throughout the Lower School programme.
• All students pursue Art, Drama and Music in the first two years of the programme. Having explored their strengths in these three arts, they select two for their Form Three year.
• Students have a choice of studying Setswana or French as their second language. (Setswana can only be selected by students who are already proficient in the language.)
• PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) is taught in Forms 1 and 2.
• All students pursue a course in Financial Literacy in Form Three.